Monday, January 10, 2011

Movies I've Seen Lately

Hello, everyone! I hope you're all having a great day. This may take more than one post, but I wanted to write about some movies I've seen (relatively) recently that I've liked.

Tangled: I saw this movie with my sister in November. I thought it was a cute and clever movie. Both Rapunzel and Flynn are very likable characters and I liked the development of their relationship. The Snuggly Duckling thugs crack me up. The art and animation was beautifully done. (The floating lantern part is especially breathtaking.) I don't have tons to say about this movie. It's just one of those solid, cute, feel good movies that I'm excited to see again.

Megamind: It's fun to see a movie such as Tangled that you know will be good, and then find that it lives up to your expectations; but, what's also fun is watching a movie you were expecting to be 'meh' and find out that it's actually a very good film. Megamind was one of the latter kinds. This movie was so much better than I thought it would be. It's hysterical and oddly romantic, meaning the kind of romance you can enjoy while fully acknowledging that it is a little bizarre.
I've read reviews that complain Megamind is predictable and borrows too much from other films. As a superhero themed movie, it does borrow from other films and stories. Much of this "borrowing" is clearly intentional. The filmmakers had a lot of fun spoofing certain superhero franchises, Superman in particular. However, I personally thought that Megamind, despite its familiar genre, still had it's own unique flavor and the plot was unique and original enough to be interesting and at times, surprising (at least for me). It has some interesting psychological themes, too. I thought it was intriguing to watch a character who was basically good by nature, but had been trained his whole life to be a villian. It also fulfilled my deeply buried desire to see what would happen if the bad guy actually won. In this movie, the bad guy does "win" at least for a while, and I couldn't help chuckling as I watched Megamind and Minion causing purely random havoc for the sheer fun of it. However, I could never support a movie in which evil prevails, and I love that in the end, you find out that the villian was merely tricked into thinking he won, and said villian reforms and completely changes his ways. So, this movie is the best of both worlds. :) Megamind also has a really fun soundtrack that fits so well and truly adds to the movie. It consists largely of classic rock from the 1970's and 80's.
If you've seen trailers for this film, know that they don't do it justice. And although it's fun to watch clips online, this is the kind of movie that must be seen from start to finish to appreciate its full charm. Give it a chance. It's a very good film.

1 comment:

  1. I gotta go see Megamind! I hope that they don't make me wait too long.

    What about How do Train your Dragon? Have you not gotten a chance to really watch it in peace yet? I'm interested to hear your take on it because we didn't get to talk about it too much...

    ReplyDelete