Tuesday, January 11, 2011

How to Train Your Dragon

Thanks, Meridy, for reading my blog! You're comments always make me so happy! I was always planning to write about How to Train Your Dragon, I just ran out of time yesterday. But I would be happy to say a few words about it now. (And yes, I did get a chance to watch it in peace. :) )
How to Train Your Dragon: I was reluctant to see this movie because I was afraid it would go all animal rights propaganda on me; however, knowing how much everyone loves this movie, I convinced myself to give it a try. It turned out to be a very sweet, touching, and fun movie. It also helped me embrace my inner Viking. (I am 1/8 Danish, after all. :) ) I loved the music in this film. Parts of the soundtrack were so beautiful that I literally had goosebumps. Good music affects me deeply, so when a movie has effective music, it always helps me to enjoy it more. (Not that it wouldn't have been a good film anyway :) )
I loved Hiccup. He is a great character. Not only did he make me laugh, but I loved watching his ingenuity. He's a very intelligent kid. Toothless is adorable. He's basically a giant kitty. He even chases laser points! (Well, okay, the Viking equivelent thereof.)
Everyone raves about this movie, but to be perfectly honest, I didn't like it quite as much as Megamind or Kung Fu Panda. I'm not really sure why. I guess it's hard to explain personal taste. It could be because I get irked at the way Hiccup is treated by his classmates, neighbors, and (especially) his father. Although, I guess Hiccup's ill treatment does make it all the more touching when everyone is reconciled in the end. And then there's the oft told story of a single father misunderstanding his son. It's a good story, and effectively done in this film, it's just that I've seen it many times before.
But even though this movie may not be one of my absolute favorites, it's still a very good film. I like it a lot, and it's still growing on me. I'm excited to see it again.

2 comments:

  1. Good review. I agree. :) I'm glad that you liked the music so much. I'll have to listen more closely next time I watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow its been a long time since you have written a blog! welcome back! i love this movie!

    ReplyDelete