Thursday, September 24, 2009

Disney Movie #8

Hi!! Yes, it has been a while... I thought I would go ahead and continue my Disney list. I know nobody cares about it, but I feel that I should finish what I start, so I shall continue. I promise, however, that I won't make these Disney posts so long anymore. One last note: I made this list before I saw The Princess and the Frog for the first time. If I were to make the list again, I would definitely include this wonderful film, but since I've already started, I'll just continue with the original list.

#8. Cinderella (1950)

As the title suggests, this is a Disney version of the classic fairytale, Cinderella. I used to think that it was a sugar-coated version of the original fairy tale, as the much darker Grimm Brothers' version is quite different. However, the last time I watched the movie, I noticed on the credits that Disney's version was based on the Charles Perrault version. After a little Google and Wikipedia research, I learned that this version of the story by French author Charles Perrault is actually older than the Grimms' version, so I guess you could say that this Disney movie is a relatively accurate version of a famous fairytale. Of course, there are versions of the story even older than Perrault's, which was written in 1697, so the Grimms may have also based their version on some of these. So, it's hard to say which is the "real" version of Cinderella, but I least I now know that this this movie isn't radically different from its source material.

This is a pretty typical Disney princess movie, complete with talking cutesy animals that dance and sing. Parts of it are kind of cheesy, but I still like it and think it's fun. I like Cinderella. She's kind, sweet, and hard working, but she has just the right amount of attitude. As my sister says, "she only takes so much guff." She's not afraid to stand up for herself.
I like the parts with the King and the Duke. I think the King is hilarious. I love his utter disregard for his son's happiness. He just wants grandkids, end of story.
A few funny quotes from Cinderella:
1. Stepmother: "if." (it's more funny if you know my mother)
2. King: "Ah! The boy isn't cooperating." "I can't understand it. There must be at least one who'd make a suitable mother!"
Grand Duke: "Shh. Sire."
King: "Er, a suitable wife."
3. Grand Duke: "But, Sire, this slipper may fit any number of girls!"
King: "That's his problem. He's given his word, we'll hold him to it."
4. Anastasia: "And I'm so eligible!"
5. Grand Duke (After the glass slipper has shattered): "No, no, nothing can help now. Nothing!"
Cinderella: "But, you see, I have the other slipper."

No comments:

Post a Comment